Wednesday, April 20, 2016

HUMOR ADDS INTEREST TO TIMELESS DESIRE

Please welcome Barbara Donlon Bradley to the blog. Barbara’s latest release is TIMELESS DESIRE, a futuristic Sci-fi with humor. She’s agreed to an interview, which I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Who are your favorite authors and favorite genres?

I love romance – mostly the futuristic one but I have favorite authors from all genres – Stephen King, Issac Asimov, Steven R Donaldson are a couple I love . Romance wise I love Joanna Lindsey, and Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, to name a few.

When you’re not writing, what’s your favorite way to relax and recharge? Hobbies?

The only time I don’t write is when my sister comes into town or I go visit her. We have a wonderful relationship and when we get together we’ve been known to stay up all hours talking. Being around her recharges my battery. Hobbies? I used to draw and paint as well as do embroidery but now I write all the time.

How long have you been writing?

Professionally? Since 1991 I think, but as far as puting ink to paper since I was a teenager.

Where do you prefer to write? Do you need quiet, music, solitude? PC or laptop?

I can write anywhere. Normally I sit in front of the TV with my laptop in my recliner. I started this when my son was young because I got tired of everyone constantly interrupting me when I tried to write at my desktop. I noticed that if I was working on my computer away from my husband and son they would constantly ask when I would be done, or did I want to watch this or that show, but if I sat and watched TV with them they kinda ignored me. So I got a laptop and have been using it since.

Are you a plotter or a panzer?

I’m definitely a pantser – I like letting my characters take control and tell me the story as I go. I still keep control, but they help me by giving me some great ideas that keep my stories alive.

Do you do your research before you begin a new project, or as you go along?

I’m working on a SF/Futuristic series (almost done with book 10) so most of the world building has been done. But in the past it depended on the book. I do the research I need to start the book off then go after the things I might need as the scenes unfold.

Tell us about your writing schedule. Do you set goals? Do you write daily?

I try to write every day and have set goals in the past but when I started caring for my mother-in-law 6 years ago I couldn’t keep to that. Now that she has passed I might try going back to using a schedule, but I kind of like not having something other than the thrill of writing pushing me.

Do you write full time or do you have a day job. If you have a day job, what is it?
I have a day job of merchandiser for the military exchange system here in Tidewater, VA. I also am an editor for Melange Books.

Tell us something about yourself that might surprise readers.

I’m a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo. Of course I haven’t practiced it in seven years so I don’t think I’d frighten anyone but it was fun to learn.

What is something unusual you learned while researching and writing this book?

Well I’m drawing off of old info for this one. Back in the 1800’s when a woman told people she had the vapors she didn’t mean she was having fainting spells. It meant she had gas. I just loved this so haven’t forgotten it.

What do you hope your writing brings to readers?

My stories are light hearted with a touch of humor so I hope to give them a little escape from the real world for a little while. We all need that from time to time.

What advice would you give to unpublished authors?

Write every day – whether it’s just a few words or pages and pages. The more you write the better you get at it.



Tell us about your latest release.

TIMELESS DESIRE Blurb:
Someone keeps altering the timeline and only Sam and Skye are aware of the change. The culprit doesn’t want Heather and Storm together, yet they keep finding each other, no matter how many times it is changed. Everything needs to be righted and the person messing with it needs to be stopped. It’s up to Sam and Skye to get things back the way it should be.

TIMELESS DESIRE Excerpt:
Their ship landed in the cave they used as their tarmac. Fridon stepped up to them the moment they disembarked.
“Reasta has attacked another one of our posts.” He led them to the main computer room, where everything that had been going on was up and viewable. “We keep moving them and she keeps finding them.”
“How many people have we lost?” asked Heather as she studied the data.
“Five so far.”
Heather swore under her breath. She hated losing their soldiers. “And her people are still attacking?”
“Yes, we can’t stop them.”
Heather turned to Bert. “I’m sorry, but you’re sort of trapped here until we can stop her.”
“Then let me see what I can do to help you end this.”
“Thank you.” Heather turned to her mate. “Storm, each person we lose – ”
****
“What the hell?” Skye ran his hands over the control panel, trying to get a response. Any response. All the power in the ship went out for a second before it powered back up. Now everything worked fine. He wondered what caused that.
“That was odd.” Sam ran a few tests. She looked at him. “Everything seems to be fine now.”
Skye slowed their ship down as they got close to Vespian space. Protocol needed to be followed and he knew who would be the one yelling at him if he didn’t follow it. He sent the proper message and waited for clearance. They’d figure out what happened to the ship once they landed. “I wish I knew what caused that. I’ve never had any trouble with this ship before.”
“We’ll check with Bert once we’re through.” Sam sat in the copilot seat. She pressed a few buttons and cupped her ear. “Skye, security is contacting us.”
“That’s odd.” He activated the communication system. “This is Skye Latimer.”
“What is the purpose for your visit?”
“Purpose?” He looked at Sam. Why were they asking that? “We’re returning home.”
“We have no record of your citizenship.” And they cut the line.
“What are they talking about? Sam leaned forward. “I’ll get them back.”
“Wait.” He reached out and took her hand in his. “I don’t want to end up in a jail while we try to figure out what happened. Let’s leave like we’re supposed to, and once we’re out of their radar, we’ll come back and use the ship’s cloaking device to go to Bert’s ship. He’ll have the answers for us.”





ABOUT BARBARA DONLON BRADLEY

Barbara Donlon Bradley’s writing started innocently enough, she kept diaries, journals, and wrote an occasional letter but her vivid imagination had her writing scenes and short stories, adding characters to her favorite shows and comic books. As time went on the passion for writing became too strong to ignore. Humor dominates her life. Writing something deep and dark, will never happen. That humor bleeds into her writing. Since she can’t beat it she’s learned to use it to her advantage. Now she lives in Tidewater Virginia with two cats, her husband and son.

How can readers learn more about you? (website, blog, Facebook, etc?)

2 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

Barbara, thanks for sharing with readers today. Best wishes for continued success.

Barbara Donlon Bradley said...

Thanks so much Caroline!

Barb:)